If you’re a resident or want to visit Qatar, a Qatar driving license is an important document to drive any kind or vehicle. Possessing a Qatari driver’s license not only offers increased transportation convenience but also meets the legal requirements for renting or owning a vehicle.
In this article, we offer a comprehensive walkthrough on the procedure for obtaining a driving license Qatar.
Qatar Driving License 2023
To acquire a Qatar driving license, it is essential to enroll in a driving course initially. Typically, a complete course comprises 40 practical lessons, alongside theory and simulator sessions, whereas a partial course consists of only 20 practical lessons.
Qatar Driving License Valid Countries
If you are a resident of one of the specified countries and possess a valid driver’s license, you are eligible to obtain a Qatar driver’s license without the need to take the license examination.
- GCC countries
- Hong kong
- New Zealand
- San Marino
- South Korea
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
Qatar Driving License Application
To qualify for acquiring a driving license in Qatar, you must satisfy the following prerequisites:
- For non-Qataris and GCC citizens: Obtain a valid legal residence permit in the country.
- Reach the minimum legal age of 18 years to obtain a driving license for light vehicles or motorcycles.
- Reach the minimum legal age of 21 years to obtain a driving license for heavy vehicles, construction equipment, or agricultural machinery.
To get a Qatar driving license, you will require to have the following documents:
- Please go on the website of MOI and download and complete the paper application form, then submit it to the General Directorate of Traffic(DGT) or a recognized driving school.
- Attach the following documents:
- Three recent color photographs.
To issue driving licenses for Qatari nationals, the following requirements must be met:
- QID card (Qatar Identification Card) and a copy of it.
- Learning insurance for a duration of three months for individuals who intend to learn driving on a private car.
For issuing a driving license for non-Qatari residents, the following documents are necessary:
- A formal letter from the employer, expressing support for the expatriate’s application for a new license. This letter should specify the type of license required.
- Passport of the expatriate and a photocopy of it.
- A duplicate of the employer’s Qatar Identification Card (QID) is required in the event of personal sponsorship.
To obtain a driving license in Qatar for individuals who are coming to the country for work and already hold a residence permit and a driving license from another country, the following steps are typically required:
- To obtain a Qatar driving license for expatriates who hold a driving license issued by their home country or an authority acknowledged by Qatar.
To issue a driving license for diplomatic delegates and employees of international organizations:
- A formal letter from the MOFA(Ministry of Foreign Affairs).
- A copy of the diplomatic card.
- The original license of the applicant.
To issue a driving license for individuals with disabilities, the following steps are typically taken:
- An authentic medical report issued by the Ministry of Interior Medical Services Department.
- Successfully passed an eye test.
- Pay appropriate fees.
To obtain a Qatar driving license, candidates are required to request a NOC (No Objection Certificate). You can accomplish this task using either the Metrash2 mobile app or the Ministry of Interior (MOI) website.
Through Metrash2 Mobile App
- Log in to the Metrash2 app.
- Go to “Traffic” > “License Service” > “License NOC.”
- Choose “New Issue.”
- Select the desired driving license category.
- Write down your own email ID and click “Next.”
- Completely Review and confirm the provided details.
Through the MOI Website
- Search on google the MOI e-services portal and login using your smartcard.
- Choose the appropriate transaction type, whether it’s for a personal or company name.
- Choose the option “Traffic Services,” then click on “Driving License NOC.”
- Write down the necessary N.O.C request information.
- Provide the sponsored individual’s Qatar Identification Card (QID) or visa number.
- Select the specific driving license category (e.g., motorbike, car, bus).
- Select the type of approval required, either “Issue New License” or “Replace Lost License.”
- Review the request details.
- Click “Confirm” to submit your request.
Kindly be aware that in case you are sponsored by a corporation, the company is required to furnish a No-Objection Certificate (NOC) via the Metrash2 application. Conversely, if you are applying on your own, you must secure sponsorship.
Upon receipt of the NOC, please adhere to these steps diligently.
- Select a driving school.
- Undergo an eye test, which can be administered by the driving schools or by obtaining an approved eye test certificate from a traffic department-authorized optometrist.
- Choose the course duration: A full course includes 40 practical classes, while a half course consists of 20 practical classes.
- After submission of relevant documents and make payment of the fees.
- Successfully pass the final road test, during which a traffic police officer assesses your driving skills. Upon passing this test, you will be granted your Qatar driving license.
Qatar Driving License Test
The Qatar driving license test comprises the following components:
Theory Tests for Road and Traffic Signals:
- This test covers traffic laws in Qatar, traffic signs, and driving ethics.
- For passing exam , you are required to answer a minimum of 37 out of 40 questions accurately and correctly.
- Parking tests include L (perpendicular parking) and P (parallel parking).
- The practical road test involves a one-on-one driving evaluation administered by a certified driving instructor.
Every one of these tests acts as a requirement for advancing to the subsequent stage. Failing any part of the test will impede your progression to the subsequent testing phase. Nevertheless, you do have the opportunity to retake the failed segment within a designated time frame at no additional cost.
Qatar Driving License Renewal
For renewal of a driving license Qatar through the MOI(Ministry of Interior’s online website), please adhere to the following simple steps:
- Access the MOI e-services portal by logging in with your smart card.
2. Select “Traffic Services“: within the portal, choose “Traffic Services.”
3. Choose “Renew Driving License” Under “Traffic Services,” select “Renew Driving License.”
4. Specify the License Renewal Type:
- Please specify whether you wish to renew your own driving license or that of another individual you sponsor.
5. Review License Information:
- Carefully review the details of the driving license that you intend to renew.
6. Select Delivery Option:
- Choose your preferred delivery option for the new driving license.
7. Payment and Receipt:
- Pay the required renewal fees through the online portal.
- Upon finishing the payment, ensure that you print the payment receipt for your own record-keeping.
It’s important to note that driving licenses can only be renewed within six months before or on their expiration date. Ensure you initiate the renewal process within this timeframe to avoid any issues with your license’s validity.
Qatar Driving License Price
The fees for issuing and renewing Qatar driving licenses are as follows:
Issuing a Qatar Driving License:
- – QAR 500 for Qatari citizens (light vehicle).
- – QAR 600 for Qatari citizens (heavy vehicle).
- – QAR 300 for Qatari citizens (motorcycle).
- – QAR 250 for expatriate residents (light vehicle).
- – QAR 300 for expatriate residents (heavy vehicle).
- – QAR 150 for expatriate residents (motorcycle).
- – The fees for obtaining a driver’s learning license for all types of vehicles are QAR 150.
For renewing a Qatar Driving License:
- Qatari citizens will be charged QAR 500 for a ten-year renewal, with an additional QR 20 delivery fee if applicable.
- QAR 250 for residents (five years), plus QR20 delivery fees if applicable.
Automatic/ Manual Transmission Vehicles
In Qatar, driving schools offer training for light vehicles, covering both manual and automatic transmission vehicles. The type of transmission in which you qualify during your examination will determine the vehicles you are allowed to drive afterward.
How to Exchange/ Transfer a Foreign License in Qatar
Driving licenses from some countries (mainly western countries)” can be rephrased as “Some countries, primarily those in the western regions, allow direct exchange of their driving licenses.”
Please check with any driving school to know if your driving license is eligible for direct exchange” can be rewritten as “You can inquire with any driving school to determine if your license is eligible for direct exchange.”
Please note that only expatriates with valid Residence Permits can apply for this” can be made more concise by stating, “Note that only expatriates with valid Residence Permits are eligible.”
Additionally, for GCC license holders, both theory and practical tests are required. The theory test covers traffic laws and regulations specific to Qatar, while the practical test evaluates your road-driving skills. Passing both tests allows you to obtain your Qatar driving license without completing the standard training course. Please note that this exception applies solely to individuals holding valid GCC driving licenses and valid Qatar Residence Permits.
Recent Changes to the Qatar Driving License System
The Traffic Department has introduced various changes to the driving license system in recent years. These changes include:
- Unified Driving Curriculum: The Traffic Department has implemented a standardized driving curriculum that applies to all driving schools.
- Unified Contract: A unified contract has been established for all driving schools in the country, clearly outlining their responsibilities towards trainees. Driving schools are prohibited to impose extra charges beyond what is stipulated in the contract. If a trainee discontinues the course, the contract mandates that the school refund any remaining balance as per its provisions.
- Guardian Accompaniment for Female Trainees: Female learners have the freedom to request the presence of a male guardian when their driving instructor is male, emphasizing inclusivity and comfort in the learning process.
- Multilingual Curriculum: The revised curriculum is now available in over 18 languages, catering to the diverse linguistic needs of Qatar’s population, a significant expansion from the previous limit of ten languages.
- Road Test Eligibility: As a testament to the emphasis on knowledge and safety, trainees are granted eligibility for the road test only after they have successfully passed the theory test, aligning the educational process with practical skill development.
- Comprehensive Syllabus: Beyond standard driving skills and traffic laws, the curriculum includes essential vehicle safety checks, encompassing inspections of lights, engines, engine oil, and tire pressure, promoting a holistic understanding of responsible driving.
- Elimination of Short Courses: The discontinuation of short courses underscores a commitment to thorough education, requiring all new students to enroll in either the half-course or full-course programs, ensuring a comprehensive learning experience.
- No Exceptions for Saudi and Kuwait License Holders: Qatar’s decision to discontinue granting driving licenses to individuals with licenses from Saudi Arabia and Kuwait underscores the importance of standardized training and testing, fostering safer roads through rigorous assessment and education.
I hope this article will be very beneficial for you if you have made up your mind for learning driving and want to get Qatar driving license with ease.